Sunday, October 25, 2015

Will they pull out earbuds now?




Protest outraged by Dadri Lynching has reached its culmination with the open letter of Ex-Navy chief Admiral Laxminarayan Ramdas to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee.  In his letter he writes "Today, as a veteran in my eighties, I am forced to hang my head in shame. Today, a Muslim has to prove his or her loyalty, and they are being repeatedly put in a situation where their places of worship are under attack, as indeed their eating habits, and other basic freedoms,"

 I do not want to create a controversy by digging the past of Mr. Ramdass. We all know his association with Aam Aadmi Party as internal ombudsman. I simply want to raise the issue why such type of feeling is erupting inside an Indian?

Before Ramdass, prominent poet and Bollywood personality Gulzar has openly supported the ‘way of protest’ of literature personalities to which leaders of Bhartiya Janta Party had criticised as “manufactured Protest”. Yesterday president of Bahrtiya Janta Party Amit Shah in an interview to a prominent Hindi Daily has said the “protest of poets and writers is restricted to Lutyens Delhi only.”
Surely flag bearers of right wing philosophy do not want to give much importance to Dadri and Muzaffarnagar incidences. But to a common men, loss of life hurts from inside. Whether it is life of Hindu or of Muslim. With minor differences from here and there physical anatomy of all human being are same. No matter he prayer Hindu Gods in Temples or pay respect in the form of “Namaz” in “Masjids”

I remember a friend of My Grand Father who was Muslim and use to live in old city of Allahabad. He used to visit our house daily in the morning and we (I along with my father, brother and sister) gave as much respect to him as to our grandfather. My mother always come in veil in front of him as she used to come to any other elders of our family. By giving this example I just want to emphasise the ethos and eidos of our society.

It is true incidence of clashes which are recurring in these days is the result of bad policies of past UPA government. To some extent they followed the policies of minority appeasement to save their seat of power at Centre. But it does not mean that members of majority lynch a man only because of rumours’ of beef eating. I have a faint memory of curfew being clamped in our locality owing to Hindu-Muslim riots in old part of Allahabad. As a child I along with friends used to visit non curfew bound areas to purchase daily house hold items, that too on double or triple time price. I could feel the pain of affected families in the clash bound areas.


The question which hound my mind is “will members of right wing thinking group will mend their way and allow to live members of other religions peacefully in our plural society.” As journalist I know this ideal situation will never ever come in reality but even then I have a dream that a day will come when evil forces of society will understand the values of life and will follow the path of coexistence. 

No comments: